Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pillsbury's Cheesy Potatoes



I might have had them earlier, but the first experience I remember at having "funeral potatoes" was at a marching band banquet in college, possibly my first year.  When Scott and I got married and I found out that his mother had a recipe for them, I jumped on the chance to get it for my collection.  We made them for several years and loved them.  Then, a few years ago, I found this recipe for cheesy potatoes.  It is a lot like "funeral potatoes" (same great taste) but they are a little less work, which is always a plus for me.  One big difference, there is no bread crumb/potato chip topping.  We make these all the time now, and my family loves them.  Enjoy!

The picture and recipe came from the Pillsbury website.
Cheesy Potatoes

1 bag (32 oz.) frozen diced potatoes/hash browns
¼ cup butter, melted
2 cups shredded cheese (8 oz.)                                
1 tsp. salt
1 container (16 oz.) sour cream                                
¼ tsp. pepper
1 can (10 ¾ oz.) cream of chix soup                        
¼ cup chopped onion (optional)
2 Tbl. Chopped fresh parsley (use less if using dry parsley)
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.  In large microwave bowl, defrost potatoes 12-15 minutes, or until thawed, stirring once or twice.  Stir in remaining ingredients, except parsley.  Spread in baking dish.  Bake 30-45 minutes, or until browned and bubbly around the edges.  Sprinkle with parsley.

*If using dry parsley, I just add enough to have little green flecks running through my potatoes and I mix them into the sauce before I bake everything instead of sprinkling them on at the end.  I also like to use the frozen potatoes that are tiny cubes, just like the ones in the picture.  It's just a little different than the grated potato hash browns.

1 comment:

  1. I always call them "yummy" potatoes because my aunt called them that when I was young and I thought it more fitting than "funeral" potatoes even though that is where they are usually served. :) Super yum!

    ReplyDelete