Saturday, May 22, 2010

Marsha's Pizza Sauce, Pizza Dough and Bonus Cheesy Breadsticks


I was reminded by a friend of ours that we have a good recipe for pizza dough/bread sticks and pizza sauce. If you like to make homemade pizza, this recipe has been quite popular for us. I haven't seen too many recipes for pizza sauce myself, so I was especially happy to find this one that works so well. Enjoy!

Marsha's Pizza Sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
Garlic salt to taste
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. oregano
¾ tsp. basil
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Mix all ingredients together until well incorporated. (No cooking required.) Spread on pizza dough or warm in microwave to use a dipping sauce with bread sticks or cheese sticks. Makes enough for a few pizzas, depending on size of pizza, so freeze leftovers if needed.


This dough recipe has been insanely popular with my friends and family.  Enjoy!  This recipe came from my brother, who got is from a friend, who got it from who knows where...

Marsha's Pizza Dough
3 cups warm water
1 Tbl. salt
2 Tbl. sugar
2 Tbl. active dry yeast
7-8 cups flour
Mix in order listed. Use enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead dough until it is nice and smooth, and all ingredients are well incorporated. Cover dough and let raise for 30 minutes in a warm place (I like to turn my oven on the lowest temperature until preheated while I am making the dough, then I turn the oven off and use the warm oven to help my dough raise.) 
Form into pizza crusts to your desired thickness, or form into bread sticks. Bake at 400-425 degrees for about 15 minutes depending on the size of the pizza and thickness of the crust. This recipe makes a lot, so I will use ¼ the recipe to make two small/medium pizzas instead, or ½ the recipe for two medium pizzas and some bread sticks.
Additional Idea:
Bread sticks- My favorite is cheese stuffed bread sticks. To make these, I form my dough into two 8 inch circles about ¼ inch thick. On my bottom circle I will pile a fair amount of my pizza cheese, spreading the cheese out to about ½ inch from the edge of the crust. Then I get my finger tips wet with water, run my finger tips around the edge of the dough to moisten it and help it seal and keep the cheese from leaking out during baking. 
Then I place my top circle of dough over the bottom circle and the cheese and I crimp the edges of the dough with my fingers to seal. I also cut a few vents in the top of the dough to let the steam out and to keep an air bubble from forming in the middle of the bread sticks. I then take a little butter and spread it over the top of the dough, and sprinkle the dough with garlic powder, parsley flakes and Parmesan cheese. Bake until golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment