Monday, November 15, 2010

Marsha's Cream Cheese Chicken (Crock Pot)

*This recipe is low-carb if you find something to eat it over/with that is not rice or potatoes. You could eat it "as is", over riced cauliflower or steamed veggies.


For Scott's birthday last week, I told him I would make anything for dinner that he wanted, and this is what he picked. I originally got the recipe from his mother, and I have no idea where she got it from. After a quick search on the Internet, I discovered similar recipes, but not one exactly like this one. So, with my small changes, this is now "Marsha's version."
Marsha's Cream Cheese Chicken (Crock-Pot)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 env. Dry Italian dressing mix
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut up into bite-size pieces
Cooked rice or baked potatoes
Put cream of chicken soup, Italian dressing mix, and cut up (raw) chicken into crock pot.  Cut cream cheese into small pieces and add to crock pot; stir until combined.  Cook on low all day.  Stir occasionally to incorporate cream cheese and thicken sauce.  Serve on a bed of cooked rice or baked potatoes.
Use as much chicken as you think you will need, or as much as you like in the amount of sauce this recipe makes. Breast sizes vary, so you have to be a little flexible. I also like to use baked potatoes in this recipe because mashed potatoes don't always hold up to the creamy sauce very well. A bed of white slow-cooked rice is probably our favorite way to serve this dish.  The last time I made it, I used 2 cups (non-instant) dry rice and the water required to cook the rice.  You can use instant rice, if you are in a hurry.  Also, instead of cutting up the cream cheese, I simply washed my hands and pinched off pieces of cheese to drop into the pot.  Cream cheese is so soft and messy that I didn't see how dirtying a knife was much of a benefit.

1 comment:

  1. I make a very similar recipe, but I found a few hints make it even easier. First, I just throw in the frozen chicken breasts whole with the soup, seasoning and a cup of chicken broth. Then, about 30 minutes before serving (right before I start on the rice) I attack the chicken with two forks to shred it up. Then I toss in the whole brick of cream cheese and just stir it in right before serving. I would say easy as pie, but I sometimes have trouble with pie, but this turns out great every time!

    ReplyDelete