Wednesday, December 8, 2010

All Recipes' Mexican Rice II

To go along with my enchilada recipe, I thought I would post my new favorite Mexican rice recipe.  I usually love the rice I get when I go to a Mexican restaurant. However, I have never found an easy boxed Mexican/Spanish rice that I liked in the store.  Nothing turns out quite like what you can get at your local Mexican restaurant.  So I searched the Internet and  I found this little gem of a recipe on Allrecipes.com.  Enjoy!


Mexican Rice II
3 Tbl. vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (not instant)
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped onion (opt.) or 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 cups chicken broth
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add rice.  Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden, maybe 5-10 minutes.  While rice is cooking, sprinkle with garlic salt and cumin. Stir in onions and cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.  Fluff with a fork. The more you stir the rice during cooking, the stickier it gets.

You can also add a small amount of shredded carrot and some chopped celery.

No comments:

Post a Comment