Sunday, October 26, 2014

Marsha's Copycat Subway Meatball Sub

I am not the kind of person who likes meatloaf. It's kind of a childhood trauma thing. And homemade meatballs were just as evil because they were just tiny meatloaves in disguise! However, I had a good friend in high school who loved the Subway meatball sub and she must have let me try her's once because I discovered that I really LOVED the sauce and meatballs in that sandwich. I suspect that those particular meatballs are highly processed and packed with preservatives because they are made to survive the fast food industry. But, for a meatloaf hater like myself, I thought they were delicious.

For those of you that LOVE real meatloaf and meatballs, I appologize...

Then, I stumbled upon some pre-made freezer meatballs by Armour. They were on sale for a great price and I thought it might be worth picking some up; if for no other reason than my husband isn't picky and would eat them, plus my middle boys kept asking me for meatballs with his spaghetti (because I think that is how it always comes on TV, so he wondered why his spaghetti never had them). Being "brave", I put one single meatball on my pasta to try... and discovered that this meatball tasted almost exactly like the Subway meatballs to me. YIPPEEE!

So, the next inevitable step was to make a sandwich from them, which I did just last night, and it turned out spectacular!!! If you like Subway meatball sandwiches, I think you are going to be very pleased with this copycat recipe. It's a great and simple way to satisfy you craving without having to leave home. Seriously... so simple!





Marsha's Copycat Subway Meatball Sub 
1 pkg Sara Lee Deli Rolls (or your favorite hogie/sub bun)
1 pkg Armour Meatballs, any flavor you like
1 jar spaghetti sauce, any flavor you like or homemade (I used Bertolli)
mozzarella cheese slices 
In a large sauce pan, put the whole bag of frozen meatballs and cover with the entire jar of sauce. Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer on low until meatballs are heated through, stirring occasionally. If sauce looses too much water during the process, add 1/4-1/2 cup water as needed to reconstitute the sauce.  
When meatballs are hot, open one bun, line bottom bun with mozzarella cheese slices, top with 5-6 meatballs and sauce, and top with top bun. If your sauce was just simmering and your cheese isn't sliced too thick, it should melt the cheese quickly. Enjoy!

These sandwiches can be messy and a bit tricky to keep all the meatballs from sliding around, but they are so yummy! I always get my Subway meatball sub with black olives on it (reminds me of pepperoni and olive pizza), which I think would taste just as yummy in this recipe. My husband said he could go for a few slices of onion or green pepper on his. You could also do a little sprinkling of Parmesans cheese too.

No comments:

Post a Comment