Saturday, February 28, 2015

Marsha's Black Beans


I grew up not eating much in the way of beans besides refried pinto beans, and more pinto beans in chili. Black beans were not something that I ever really saw. So, it wasn't until I married my husband and had the opportunity to try black beans while dining out that I decided that black beans actually weren't that scary or bad. In fact, in the right setting with the right seasonings, they were delicious. I have since tried to find a good black bean recipe and been stumped. However, tonight for dinner I finally made some pretty dang good black beans!! When Scott tasted them, his eyes got wide with surprise and he said, "These are really good! I am impressed." Gee, thanks hon. :)

Marsha's Black Beans

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups water
1 heaping tsp fresh minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
pinch red pepper flakes
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbl. red or white wine vinegar
Black pepper to taste
Garlic salt to taste

Put rinsed beans into a large sauce pan and add water and spices. Simmer for 30 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. Adjust seasonings to taste.

*We had our beans in taco salad bowls with Mexican rice, shredded Mexican chicken, lettuce, sour cream, and cheese. You could also add tomatoes, salsa, or any other toppings you like. Lucas had ranch dressing on his.

No comments:

Post a Comment