Thursday, July 7, 2016

Marsha's Favorite Jam Recipe


I decided to document my current favorite way to make jam because I have tried different ways and had mixed results in the past. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's runny, sometimes it's bubbly (???!!!), etc. But, I have made three kinds of jam this summer using the same technique and so far they have all turned out fantastic. To the point that Scott even said, "I think you have mastered jam." Yay! So, here goes.


Homemade Jam
(Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackberry) 
4 pints berries (equals 3 1/4 cups crushed berries), washed and debris removed
1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 box MCP Pectin 
Crush fruit to your desired consistency (I like it chunky and I used a potato masher). Gradually mix crushed fruit with pectin and lemon juice. Let sit for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Mix in corn syrup (according to the package, this is supposed to help with crystals forming during freezing). Slowly add sugar. Pour into containers, cover with lids, and let sit on counter for 24 hours. Freeze.

Tips:

  • As I mentioned, I have had mixed results in the past, so this time I even took a picture of the box of pectin I used because not all pectin seems to be the same. They even have different kinds of Sure-Jell pectin, one of which is clearly labeled for lower sugar jam recipes, but two of them have different names with no real indication on the box what the difference is; Sure-Jell vs. MCP. I Googled it, and it appears I am not the only one confused. Here is what one lady wrote, "I went to the Albertsons, and they had the Surejell right next to MCP pectin, and I got very confused. MCP is made by Surejell. Surejell is 1.75 oz at $2.99 a box. The MCP is 2.0 oz for $2.49 a box. More for less? I called Kraft and asked about the differences, and they said the formulas were different. Sure enough, I checked the back of the boxes, and Surejell lists Dextrose, Citric acid, Pectin. MCP lists dextrose, pectin and then citric acid. I have my formula for jam dialled in, so I didn't want to "mess with success" and switch now, with just one batch to go, but now I'm wondering what, if any, are the differences in the products?" Even the Kraft website (who makes Sure-Jell) lists the same description for it's Sure-Jell pectin and it's Sure-Jell MCP pectin, with the one difference that says, "MCP is available on the west coast." Okay? So is the regular Sure-Jell, so why do our stores carry both? Anywho... So here's the one I liked.



(I bought enough boxes to make some peach jam when the peaches are ready and to have a couple boxes for next year so I don't forget what kind I like.)

  • I made jam successfully, following these steps, with strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. I imagine you could combine and do a mixed berry with the same success. I am also going to try it with peach in the fall and will try to make a note if peaches worked the same.
  • Without knowing for sure, I imagine part of my success was strictly following the "stir every 5 minutes for 30 minutes" pectin step. It sounds like a pain, but it made GREAT jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment