Monday, February 15, 2021

Ham and Cheese Tortellini

 Looking for ways to use leftover ham and get the boys to eat more veggies, I stumbled across this recipe for Ham and Cheese Tortellini, and it was a hit! I'll put my notes at the bottom. To see the original recipe, go here:  https://www.julieseatsandtreats.com/tempting-tortellini-ham/


Ham and Cheese Tortellini

19 oz cheese tortellini frozen

1 c. peas

1/4 c. butter

1/4 c. all-purpose flour

1 1/4 c. fat-free milk

1/4 c. half and half cream

1 1/2 c. cubed fully cooked lean ham

4 ounces fat free cream cheese cubed

1 tsp dried basil

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 c. grated Romano cheese

In a large saucepan, cook tortellini according to package directions.

In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.

Add the ham, peas, basil, garlic powder, and pepper; cook and stir until cream cheese is melted. Mix in grated cheese. Drain tortellini; add to pan and heat through.

*Marsha's Notes:

I used my big pan to cook the tortellini in. Then, I used a package of pre-diced ham and frozen peas. I added them to the tortellini just a minute or two before I was ready to drain it, just to heat them both through. Then I dumped the noodles, ham and peas into the strainer, drained everything, and put it all back into the original pan. I then poured the sauce I was making in a second pan over the noodles, peas and ham and stirred the whole thing together.

A pint of half and half is two cups, so I used an entire pint carton instead of the fat-free milk suggested in the recipe. In the end, if the sauce felt too thick, I added some extra milk to thin to the desired consistency. 

The main seasoning in this recipe is the basil, but I might have liked it a little better with less basil and maybe some other Italian spice instead, like oregano. Next time, I might do 1/2 tsp basil and 1/2 tsp oregano. I also finished the dish off with a sprinkling of garlic salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment