Saturday, March 18, 2023

Sundried Tomato Gnocchi

I used half a bottle of sundried tomatoes in another recipe and needed to find a way to use up the rest of the bottle. When I came across this recipe, it was perfect and so yummy! Enjoy





Sundried Tomato Gnocchi

Ingredients:

  • 1 small yellow onion (I used a handful of pre-chopped frozen onion)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 16 oz pkg gnocchi
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup cooked chicken (optional)
  • 2 cups spinach (optional)
  • parmesan cheese

Directions:

  • To your hot pan, add your onion, garlic and sundried tomatoes (you don't need to add oil to the pan for the onions if you are using the oil from the sundried tomatoes. Once the onion is softened and browning, add your broth and gnocchi. Let it cook for a couple of minutes until the gnocchi is tender (doesn't take long). Then add your cream, chicken and spinach. Continue cooking until the chicken is heated through and the spinach is wilted and tender. Top with parmesan.

Marsha's Notes:

  • I cooked my onion for several minutes alone and then added the garlic and tomatoes just to make sure the garlic didn't get bitter. 
  • I also wished in hind-sight that I would have chopped up my sundried tomatoes just a bit before adding to the pan because some of the pieces were a little big.
  • Because my sundried tomatoes were packaged in oil and herbs, I didn't feel like this dish needed any extra seasonings (or oil for the pan), but you can certainly add some Italian seasoning, salt or pepper if you think it needs it.
  • For extra protein and veggies, you can add the chicken (or any other meat you like, such as ground Italian sausage or sausage links) and spinach (or any other veggies you like, such as broccoli or maybe peas), but I didn't bother with either and enjoyed the dish very much just the same.
  • Lastly, I didn't want to have extra heavy cream sitting around, so I dumped the entire 1 cup container into my pan and have zero regrets about it. It was maybe a little bit wetter and sauce-ier initially (which was fine), but it made for great leftovers that I didn't think really need any extra liquid added. But you do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment