Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Marsha's One Skillet Chili


This recipe is adapted from McCormick's All-American Chili.  Unlike their version, my version is a little less spicy, a little more tomato-y, and a little less thick.  I stumbled across this recipe and really thought it had potential, but it just needed a little tweaking. So, with a few changes, and several batches later, I think I have finally found a nice combination that makes for my new favorite chili recipe.  I love this recipe because it calls for things I have on hand in my pantry (like canned goods) and you can make it all in one pot.  Making 4 servings, it is ideal for a hot meal without a lot of leftovers. Try it out!  It's great!

Marsha's One Skillet Chili
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 and 1/2 Tbl. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 and 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1 cup water
Cook ground beef and onion in large skillet on medium-high heat until beef is browned.  Drain excess fat.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Simmer on low heat, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream. Serves 4.

I found that sometimes my cans of diced tomatoes are a larger dice.  While I prefer a smaller dice to my tomatoes, I simply run them through the blender with a few pulses.  Also, I have found that I love this recipe as a left-over!  Left to sit overnight, the flavors continue to blend and are delicious the next day.  I also serve my chili with tortilla chips on the side for dipping.  So yummy!


I also used dry onion flakes once, and that worked well.  Or you could try onion powder, if you don't like chunks of onion on your chili.  Or, you could leave the onion out entirely... or add green pepper... or add corn kernels... etc.  You get the idea.

This also fits well in my red Dutch oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment