Monday, January 10, 2011

Betty Crocker's Overnight Eggnog Streusel Coffee Cake

First, let me just say that I am not a huge eggnog fan, but I can drink a SMALL amount every couple of years and be okay with it.  So, don't feel like you have to LOVE eggnog to enjoy this recipe.  That said, I found two recipes this holiday season that had eggnog in them. Feeling festive, I tried them both. This recipe was the second one I tried, and I really have been pleased with it. The first recipe I tried, I absolutely LOVED, but I am still tweaking it so I have to wait until later to post that one... so stayed tuned!

It was this Betty Crocker's Overnight Eggnog Streusel Coffee Cake. With a subtle eggnog taste, I thought it was really quite moist and delicious. And, festive! I will say that it took just a little bit of planning because it is an OVERNIGHT cake. But, for a different holiday treat, I really enjoyed it. My notes are at the bottom in italics, as always.


Overnight Eggnog Streusel Coffee Cake

Streusel Topping
1/3cup granulated sugar
1tablespoon Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
Coffee Cake
1cup granulated sugar
1/2cup butter or margarine, softened
1cup eggnog
1container (8 ounces) sour cream
1teaspoon rum extract
2eggs
2 1/2cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
1/2teaspoon baking soda
1/2teaspoon salt
Eggnog Glaze
1/2cup powdered sugar
1to 2 tablespoons eggnog
  1. Grease bottom only of rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches, with shortening.
  2. In small bowl, mix all Streusel Topping ingredients with fork until crumbly; set aside.
  3. In large bowl, beat 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Beat in 1 cup eggnog, the sour cream, rum extract and eggs until blended. Stir in 2 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Spread in pan. Sprinkle Streusel Topping over batter. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
  4. Heat oven to 350°F. Uncover pan; bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes.
  5. In small bowl, mix all Eggnog Glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over coffee cake. For servings, cut into 5 rows by 3 rows.

My first comment is that I thought that, while delicious, this cake was more of a dessert cake than a breakfast coffee cake.  Just my opinion.  But, heated and served with a dollop of whipped topping, it was a great dessert!  I used non-stick cooking spray instead of shortening, and it worked just fine. I also thought there was perhaps not enough streusel topping, so I am planning on trying to double it next time. I also think, that while nutmeg seems to be the spice of choice for eggnog, that I might enjoy cinnamon in the topping more. So, another idea to experiment with.

No comments:

Post a Comment