Monday, January 20, 2014

Simple Nourished Living's Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal

*When I went to a nutrition class for being pre-diabetic, I was told that oatmeal is a "healthy carb" and the one exception I was allowed when pursuing a low-carb diet. So, that is why I have marked these as "low-carb."


I just couldn't wait to try another Crock Pot recipe from Simple Nourished Living, and I was happy with today's result. This time, I tried a breakfast item that is pretty common in our house; oatmeal.

http://simple-nourished-living.com/2013/10/crock-pot-apple-oatmeal/

I am usually a boring, straight-up maple brown sugar kind of oatmeal girl. I don't usually have chunks of fruit in my oatmeal, but this was actually pretty good. I did put a sprinkle of brown sugar on mine to sweeten it up a bit, but otherwise, I stuck to the recipe.

I used vanilla almond milk, but if you aren't sure what kind of low fat milk to use, here is a handy chart that could help you make an informed decision:

http://www.fitsugar.com/Calories-Different-Types-Milk-9221413

Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal

Prep time
Cook time
Total time
This crock pot apple oatmeal, is an easy, healthy and delicious way to start the day
Author: 
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 2 cups fat free milk (dairy, almond, coconut, soy, rice, etc.)
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup dry old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup chopped apples (peeled or not, whichever you prefer)
  • ½ cup dried cranberries
  • ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
  • ½ cup fat free milk (dairy, almond, coconut, soy, rice, etc.)
Instructions
  1. Spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonfat cooking spray. I used my 2-quart. (If you only have a 4-quart I would double the recipe and freeze some of the leftovers if necessary.)
  2. Combine the 2 cups of milk, maple syrup, butter, salt, cinnamon, oats, apples, cranberries and walnuts in the slow cooker.
  3. Cover and cook on WARM overnight, about 6 to 8 hours.
  4. Stir in the ½ cup milk just before serving.
  5. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for several days. They can be rewarmed in the microwave.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (generous ¾ cup): 240 calories, 6 g fat, 37 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein and *6 PointsPlus

No comments:

Post a Comment