Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Italian Grilled Cheese


Many years ago, when I was working at ICON in Smithfield, I discovered a wonderful lunch treat at the local gas station. I know, gas station, right!??!!!  They served these wonderful grilled cheese sandwiches that they called "Italian Grilled Cheese" with a side of (my favorite) steak fries and fry sauce. Fattening? Yes. Unhealthy? Mostly. Delicious? Oh YEAH!!!!! When I first noticed the menu option, I ask what it was all about and they inadvertently gave me the recipe. It's mostly a basic grilled cheese with a twist, so it's super easy to make at home, and now I am sharing it with you! Enjoy!!!!



Marsha's Italian Grilled Cheese
2 slices white bread (or your favorite sandwich bread)
1 slice American cheese
1 slice processed Swiss cheese
Garlic butter (or regular butter/spread with some McCormick Garlic Bread Sprinkle) 
Basically, prepare as you would a normal grilled cheese; butter the outside surfaces of your sandwich with garlic butter (or regular butter/spread and then sprinkle with some McCormick Garlic Bread Sprinkle), assemble the sandwich with the cheese on the inside and toast in a frying pan (or griddle) over medium/medium low heat until toasted and golden on both sides.

I really love this sandwich for a bit of a twist on a boring old grilled cheese. Depending on the bread you use, you can end up with a more "adult" fancy grilled cheese, especially with the garlic butter. It's the perfect accompaniment for soups!

If you don't have garlic butter on hand, you can substitute your own by either adding some McCormick Garlic Bread Sprinkle on top of the bread that already has regular butter spread on it, or you can make your own garlic butter if you have some garlic (garlic powder, garlic salt, fresh garlic, or the minced in a jar kind), plus some parsley for color and maybe some salt. There's lots of recipes on online, but I haven't field tested any yet. (Maybe I should do that soon and post a recipe, huh?!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment