Monday, September 25, 2017

Marsha's Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

*When I went to a nutrition class for being pre-diabetic, I was told that oatmeal is a "healthy carb" and the one exception I was allowed when pursuing a low-carb diet. So, that is why I have marked these as "low-carb."

I used to go to Pinterest for all my latest recipes, but in the last year or so, people have started going nuts posting recipes and recipe videos on Facebook. This latest creation was adapted from one such Facebook post; Barefeet in the Kitchen's Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal with Vanilla Whipped Cream. Upon preparing and taste-testing, I changed things up just a touch, but this was some seriously good oatmeal!!! Everyone in my family who tried it, LOVED it. I think I will have to make this again before fall is over. Enjoy!

For the original recipe, go here: http://barefeetinthekitchen.com/pumpkin-pie-oatmeal-recipe/


Marsha's Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups water
2 cups milk, plus some to thin if needed
1 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup brown sugar
1+ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Topping: Whipped Cream
Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook over medium low heat for 5-8 minutes, stirring constantly until the oatmeal has thickened. Stir, stir, stir, or it can burn on the bottom. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately, or put in small crock pot on low/warm heat to keep warm for a while. If oatmeal over thickens, re-thin with a little extra milk. Serve topped with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment