Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Marsha's Rolo Cookies

Scott got me this cookbook, and I have been having fun trying some of the recipes inside:


Using the "Reese's Cookies" recipe, I changed things up just a touch and made Rolo cookies instead. They were moist, delicious, and easy. Based on the recipe from Stephanie Ashcraft's "101 Things to do with a Cake Mix," here is my version with Rolos. Enjoy!

Marsha's Rolo Cookies
1 German chocolate cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
20+ Rolo candies, unwrapped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together cake mix, eggs, and oil in a bowl until all the cake powder is absorbed. (Dough should be fairly easy to handle.) Place a Rolo in the center of a ball of dough. Make sure the Rolo is completely covered with dough. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Bake cookies for approximately 12 minutes, or until done. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
I made this recipe with a Pillsbury German chocolate cake mix, and it made 20 cookies. The original recipe suggested baking the cookies for 8-10 minutes. However, in my oven, that didn't seem to be enough, as the cookies still appeared shiny and wet to me. So, I baked them for about 12 minutes, or until they looked done and were no longer shiny. They didn't spread very far, so you can place them fairly close together. Results might vary with different cake mix brands, either making dough harder to handle or cookies might spread.  I loved how this recipe required only one measuring cup, one bowl and one spoon to make.  Dishes were a snap.

* Update:  As I suspected, this recipe changes if you use different brands of cake mix.  My second batch was Betty Crocker, which turned out much more moist.  To be able to handle the dough, I had to add a couple tablespoons of flour to it, and they still spread a little more than my original batch.  So, just be careful.  Make sure that the dough is soft, yet you can handle it enough to put a Rolo inside without it sticking to your hands terribly.  

I also had the realization that these cookies are a lot like my caramel brownies... so if you like those, you should try these.  They are like portable caramel brownies.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment