Monday, March 20, 2023

Lettuce Wraps

When I got diagnosed as pre-diabetic, I wanted to find ways to cut carbs. One day, I tried a lettuce wrap and found that, if the lettuce is super fresh and crisp, that I REALLY like it. In some ways, I even PREFER it to bread when I am in the mood for something lighter, refreshing and hydrating, but I don't really just want a salad with tons of lettuce. To make the wraps, the key is to use the biggest leaves of the lettuce and it has to be fresh... at least for me. Enjoy!



Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients:

  • 1 large leaf iceberg lettuce
  • sandwich ingredients of your choice

Directions:

  • Carefully remove and wash the top most healthy leaf on your lettuce head. (Once the head starts to get smaller, it becomes more difficult to make wraps, so I really try to use the absolute BIGGEST leaves and then just use the rest of the head for something else.)
  • In the center, place your desired sandwich ingredients. (In the picture, I used shredded cheese, ripped up turkey, crumbled bacon, topped with Chick-fil-a sauce.) 
  • Like wrapping a present, start by folding in the most bendable part of the leaf of lettuce around your filling. Not all leaves easily fold the same way without cracking and breaking, so you might end up with a different shape every time, but I tend to go for a square-ish package where I fold up last the end that was closest to were the leaf attached to the head, as this tends to be the most breakable part. 
Tips:
  • If part of the leaf is too steamy/woody, I will also cut some of this area off. Only use the part of the leaf that you are willing to eat. 
  • In many cases, once you wrap it up, you won't really be able to put it down without everything falling apart, so it is best to be committed to eating it when you begin. So have your other foods all ready to go on your plate and your drinks open and ready to consume... otherwise you might end up eating this with a knife and fork.
  • I also like to have as much of the filling ripped up, shredded, or cut into small pieces as I can so when I am eating I don't bite into and pull out huge chunks of my sandwich, and then you are left eating an empty lettuce husk, which isn't nearly as delicious. That is why my turkey is ripped up, my cheese is shredded and my bacon is crumbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment